Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Mallet Craze


I'm always looking on line at all the great You Tube websites of all my favorite woodworkers and awhile back I was watching Brian Grella on his "Garage Woodworks" website. http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=v105 I was very interested in making one of his mallets to use with my wood carving. Watching his simple straight forward method of teaching I was very successful. Actually I made some mistakes that forced me to start over, but it was worth the effort.

I used walnut and oak as my two main wood selections. In the handle part I started out trying to hand carve a basket weave look on both sides of the handle. As some know trying to hand carve oak is really tuff. After completing the carving I was not happy so I routed out the carving and inserted two walnut inserts. I wish I would have selected a darker piece of walnut, but since this tool will get beat around, I was not too concerned.

Overall I'm very happy with the results. I'm hoping that I will get much use as one of my main carving tools.



No comments:

Post a Comment