Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A Special Gift

In my early 20's I found out that I had Ulcerative Colitis and started going to our local doctor. Dr. Williams is who went to. Later in 2008 I was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer. Dr. Williams is the person who discovered the cancer. Throughout the years he had been available to take care of me and to make sure I was referred to the right people at Indiana University Hospital. 
A month ago I received a letter stating that he will be retiring in March 2017. To show my appreciation to him I carved this doctor holding a scope. This small token was something that I wanted to let him know how much I appreciated him being there for me and my family. 
Besides Dr. Williams is his nurse assistant Carol. Carol had also been with him over those 40 years. To show her my application I gave her a carved Santa that I have been doing for several years.
I presented both gifts to them both on February 28th. They both were very happy with the gift. To me this was one the most gratifying gifts I have ever made.

Both carvings are made of Basswood. The doctor stands about 7" tall and the Santa about 12" tall. I painted each with acrylic paint. On the doctor I used polyurethane and on the Santa I used brown shoe polish to give it a distressed look.

Gift for Dr. Williams

Gift for Carol



No comments:

Post a Comment